2003 - 2008Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, TaiwanPh.D. in Electrical Engineering
2001 - 2003Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, TaiwanM.S. in Electrical Engineering
1997 - 2001Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, TaiwanB.S. in Electrical Engineering
2019 - presentInstitute of Biomedical Engineering and Nanomedicine, National Health Research Institutes, TaiwanAssociate Investigator
2016 - presentInstitute of Medical Device and Imaging, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, TaiwanAdjunct Assistant Professor
2013 - 2019Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Nanomedicine, National Health Research Institutes, TaiwanAssistant Investigator
2011 - 2013Division of Medical Engineering Research, National Health Research Institutes, TaiwanAssistant Investigator
2010 - 2011Advanced MRI Section, Laboratory of Functional and Molecular Imaging, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, USAVisiting Fellow
2009 - 2010Advanced Biomedical Lab, Center forOptoelectronic Biomedicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, TaiwanPostdoctoral Research Fellow
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Brain neuroimaging
- Ultra-high-field MRI
- MR system and RF coil design
- Image reconstruction
- Biomedical signal and image processing
- Medical imaging instrumentations
Research Activities Accomplishment
- Frontiers in Brain Imaging Methods (Review Editor)
- Frontiers in Human Neuroscience (Review Editor)
- IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
- Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- Human Brain Mapping
- International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology
- Journal of Neuroscience and Neuroengineering
- Frontiers in Brain Imaging Methods
- Frontiers in Human Neuroscience
- PLOS ONE
- 2014 National Invention and Creation Award, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2006 National Innovation Award, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2005 Honorable Mention Poster Award in Neuroimaging, ISMRM 13th Annual Meeting, Miami USA
- Professional Memberships
- Member, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM)
- Member, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS)
- Member, Taiwanese Society of Biomedical Engineering
- Member, Taiwan Magnetic Resonance Society
- Journal Papers
- Kuan-Hung Cho, Sheng-Min Huang, Chang-Hoon Choi, Ming-Jye Chen, Hsuan-Han Chiang, Richard P. Buschbeck, Ezequiel Farrher, N. Jon Shah, Ruslan Garipov, Ching-Ping Chang, Hsu Chang and Li-Wei Kuo*. “Development, integration and use of an ultra-high-strength gradient system on a human-size 3 T magnet for small animal MRI,” PLoS ONE, 14(6):e0217916, 2019, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0217916. (*corresponding author)
- Li-Wei Kuo*^, Pei-Sheng Lin^, Shih-Yen Lin, Ming-Fang Liu, Hengtai Jan, Hsin-Chien Lee and Sheng-Chang Wang*. “Functional Correlates of Resting-state Connectivity in the Default Mode Network of Heroin Users on Methadone Treatment and Medication-free Therapeutic Community Program,” Frontiers in Psychiatry, 2019, doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00381. (*corresponding author; ^equal contribution)
- Chia-Wen Chiang, Shih-Yen Lin, Kuan-Hung Cho, Kou-Jen Wu, Yun Wang and Li-Wei Kuo*. “Effects of signal averaging, gradient encoding scheme, and spatial resolution on diffusion kurtosis imaging: An empirical study using 7T MRI,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.26755. (*corresponding author)
- Shih-Yen Lin, Chi-Chun Lee, Yong-Sheng Chen, Li-Wei Kuo*. “Investigation of functional brain network reconfiguration during vocal emotional processing using graph-theoretical analysis,” Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1093/scan/nsz025. (*corresponding author)
- Hsin-Yi Tsai, Fang-Ci Su, Chun-Han Chou, Yu-Hsuan Lin, Kuo Cheng Huang, Yao-Joe Yang, Li-Wei Kuo, Lun-De Liao and Hsin-Su Yu. “Wearable inverse lighting-emitting diode sensor for measuring light intensity at specific wavelength in light therapy,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2019.2899444.
- Shih-Yen Lin, Chen-Pei Lin, Tsung-Jen Hsieh, Chung-Fen Lin, Sih-Huei Chen, Yi-Ping Chao, Yong-Sheng Chen, Chih-Cheng Hsu and Li-Wei Kuo*. “Multiparametric Graph Theoretical Analysis Reveals Altered Structural and Functional Network Topology in Alzheimer’s Disease,” Neuroimage: Clinical, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2019.101680. (*corresponding author)
- Chi-Hsiang Shih, Jen-Kun Chen, Li-Wei Kuo, Kuan-Hung Cho, Ta-Chih Hsiao, Zhe-Wei Lin, Yi-Syuan Lin, Jiunn-Horng Kang, Yu-Chun Lo, Kai-Jen Chuang, Tsun-Jen Cheng and Hsiao-Chi Chuang. “Chronic pulmonary exposure to traffic-related fine particulate matter causes brain impairment in adult rats,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, 9;15(1):44, November 2018.
- Kou-Jen Wu, Seong-Jin Yu, Chia-Wen Chiang, Yu-Wei Lee, B. Linju Yen, Chun-Sen Hsu, Li-Wei Kuo and Yun Wang. “Wharton’s jelly mesenchymal stromal cell therapy for ischemic brain injury,” Brain Circulation, 4(3), 124-127, October 2018.
- Kou-Jen Wu, Seong-Jin Yu, Chia-Wen Chiang, Yu-Wei Lee, B. Linju Yen, Pei-Chi Tseng, Chun-Sen Hsu, Li-Wei Kuo and Yun Wang. “Neuroprotective action of human Wharton’s jelly derived-mesenchymal stromal cell transplants in a rodent model of stroke,” Cell Transplantation, 27(11), 1603-1612, October 2018.
- Li-Wei Kuo, Li-Chen Chiu, Win-Lin Lin, Jiun-Jung Chen, Guo-Chung Dong, Sheng-Fu Chen and Gin-Shin Chen. “Development of a MRI-compatible high-intensity focused ultrasound phased array transducer dedicated for breast tumor treatment,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 65(8):1423-1432, August 2018.
- Chi-Feng Su, Li-Hsun Chang, Chien-Yu Kao, Don-Ching Lee, Kuan-Hung Cho, Li-Wei Kuo, Hsu Chang, Yao-Horng Wang and Ing-Ming Chiu. “Application of amniotic fluid stem cells in repairing sciatic nerve injury in minipigs,” Brain Research, volume 1678, p397-406, January 2018.
- Yan-Jye Shyong, Mao-Hsien Wang, Li-Wei Kuo, Chang-Fu Su, Wei-Ting Kuo, Kuo-Chi Chang, Feng-Huei Lin. “Mesoporous hydroxyapatite as a carrier of olanzapine for long-acting antidepression treatment in rats with induced depression,” Journal of Controlled Release, volume 255, p62-72, June 2017.
- Meng-Chi Hsieh, Li-Wei Kuo, Yun-An Huang and Jyh-Horng Chen. “Investigating Hyperoxic Effects in the Rat Brain Using Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping Based on MRI Phase,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Feb 1 2016, doi: 10.1002/mrm.26139.
- G. Russell Glenn, Li-Wei Kuo*, Yi-Ping Chao, Chu-Yu Lee, Joseph A. Helpern and Jens H. Jensen*. “Mapping the Orientation of White Matter Fiber Bundles: A Comparative Study between Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI), Diffusional Kurtosis Imaging (DKI), and Diffusion Spectrum Imaging (DSI),” American Journal of Neuroradiology, March 3 2016, 10.3174/ajnr.A4714. (*corresponding author)
- Chao-Yu Shen, Yeu-Sheng Tyan, Li-Wei Kuo, Changwei W. Wu and Jun-Cheng Weng. “Quantitative Evaluation of Rabbit Brain Injury after Cerebral Hemisphere Radiation Exposure Using Generalized q-Sampling Imaging,” PLoS ONE 10(7): e0133001. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0133001, 2015.
- Wei-Chen Huang, Hsin-Yi Lai, Li-Wei Kuo, Chia-Hsin Liao, Po-Hsieh Chang, Ta-Chung Liu, San-Yuan Chen and You-Yin Chen. “Multifunctional 3D Patternable Drug-Embedded Nanocarrier-Based Interfaces to Enhance Signal Recording and Reduce Neuron Degeneration in Neural Implantation,” Advanced Materials, 2015 Jun 13. doi: 10.1002/adma.201500136.
- Kou-Jen Wu, Seong-Jin Yu, Chia-Wen Chiang, Kuan-Hung Cho, Yu-Wei Lee, B. Linju Yen, Li-Wei Kuo* and Yun Wang*. “Transplantation of human placenta-derived multipotent stem cells reduces ischemic brain injury in adult rats,” Cell Transplantation, 24(3):459-70, 2015. (*corresponding author)
- Lun-De Liao, Aishwarya Bandla, Ji Min Ling, Yu-Hang Liu, Li-Wei Kuo, You-Yin Chen, Nicolas KK King, Hsin-Yi Lai, Yan-Ren Lin and Nitish V. Thakor. “Improving Neurovascular Outcomes with Bilateral Forepaw Stimulation in a Rat Photothrombotic Ischemic Stroke Model,” Neurophotonics, 1(1), 011007, 2014.
- Hengtai Jan, Kuo-Ting Tsai and Li-Wei Kuo. “Phase Locking Route behind Complex Periodic Windows in a Forced Oscillator,” Chaos, 23, 033126, 2013.
- Kuan-Hung Cho, Li-Wei Kuo* and Ching-Po Lin. “Mapping Brain Connectomics from Brownian Motion: A Technical Review for Diffusion MRI,” Journal of Neuroscience and Neuroengineering, 2, p1-15, 2013. (*corresponding author)
- Li-Wei Kuo, Wen-Yang Chiang, Fang-Cheng Yeh, Van J. Wedeen, Wen-Yih I. Tseng. “Diffusion Spectrum MRI Using Body-centered-cubic and Half-sphere Sampling Schemes,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 212(1) p143-155, 2013.
- Zhongming Liu, Jacco A. de Zwart, Bing Yao, Peter van Gelderen, Li-Wei Kuo, Jeff H. Duyn. “Finding Thalamic BOLD Correlates to Posterior Alpha EEG,” NeuroImage, 63(3) p1060-9, 2012.
- Zhongming Liu, Jacco A. de Zwart, Peter van Gelderen, Li-Wei Kuo, Jeff H. Duyn. “Statistical Feature Extraction for Artifact Removal from Concurrent fMRI-EEG Recordings,” NeuroImage, 59(3) p2073-87, 2011.
- Jongho Lee, Peter van Gelderen, Li-Wei Kuo, Hellmut Merkle, Afonso C. Silva, Jeff H. Duyn. “T2*-based Fiber Orientation Mapping,” NeuroImage, 57(1) p225-34, 2011.
- Yu-Chun Lo, Wei-Tsuen Soong, Susan Shur-Fen Gau, Yu-Yu Wu, Meng-Chuan Lai, Fang-Cheng Yeh, Wen-Yang Chiang, Li-Wei Kuo, Fu-Shan Jaw, Wen-Yih Isaac Tseng. “The Loss of Asymmetry and Reduced Interhemisphere Connectivity in Adolescents with Autism: A study using diffusion spectrum imaging tractography,” Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 192(1) p60-66, 2011.
- I-Chao Liu, Chen-Huan Chiu, Chih-Jui Chen, Li-Wei Kuo, Yu-Chun Lo, Wen-Yih Isaac Tseng. “The Microstructural Integrity of the Corpus Callosum and Associated Impulsivity in Alcohol Dependence: A tractography-based segmentation study using diffusion spectrum imaging,” Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 184(2) p128-134, 2010.
- Li-Wei Kuo, Chun-Yao Lee, Jyh-Horng Chen, Van J. Wedeen, Chih-Chuan Chen, Horng-Huei Liou, Wen-Yih I. Tseng. “Mossy Fiber Sprouting in the Pilocarpine-induced Status Epilepticus Rat Hippocampus: A correlative study of diffusion spectrum imaging and histology,” NeuroImage, 41(3) p789-800, 2008.
- Li-Wei Kuo, Jyh-Horng Chen, Van J. Wedeen, Wen-Yih I. Tseng. “Optimization of Diffusion Spectrum Imaging and Q-ball Imaging on Clinical MRI System,” NeuroImage, 41(1) p7-18, 2008.
- Hong-Chang Yang, Kuen-Lin Tsai, Ji-Cheng Chen, Chiu-Hsien Wu, Herng-Er Horng, Jyh-Horng Chen and Li-Wei Kuo. “High-Tc Superconducting Surface Coils for Improving the Image Quality on a 3T Imager,” Superconductor Science and Technology, 2007, 20, 777-780.
- Jun-Cheng Weng, Jyh-Horng Chen, Li-Wei Kuo, Van J. Wedeen, Wen-Yih I. Tseng. “Maturation-dependent Microstructure Length Scale in the Corpus Callosum of Fixed Rat Brains by Magnetic Resonance Diffusion-diffraction,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 25(1) p78-86, 2007.
- Book Chapters
- Payton Lin, Yu Tsao and Li-Wei Kuo. The chapter “Controlling the Biocompatibility and Mechanical Effects of Implantable Microelectrodes to Improve Chronic Neural Recordings in the Auditory Nervous System,” in “An Excursus into Hearing Loss.” Ed. Hatzopoulos S. and Ciorba A., IntechOpen, 2018. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.69828. ISBN 978-1-78923-213-4.
- Wen-Yih Isaac Tseng and Li-Wei Kuo. The chapter “Diffusion Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Neuroimaging,” in “Novel Trends in Brain Science: brain imaging, learning and memory, stress and fear, and pain.” Ed. Onozuka M. and Yen C. T., Springer Tokyo, 2008. ISBN 978-4-431-73241-9.
- Fang-Ci Su, Hsin-Yi Tsai, Min-Wei Hung, Yi-Cheng Lin, Kuo-Cheng Huang, Hsin-Su Yu, Chiou-Lian Lai, Chung-Yao Hsu, Chao-Hung Cheng, Li-Wei Kuo. “System and Method for Detecting Illuminance,” Taiwan Patent No. I650535 B, 11 February 2019.
- Yi-Cheng Lin, Hsin-Yi Tsai, Min-Wei Hung, Kuo-Cheng Huang, Hsin-Su Yu, Chiou-Lian Lai, Chung-Yao Hsu, Chao-Hung Cheng, Li-Wei Kuo, Hung-Che Chiang, Chih-Yi Yang. “Composite Intelligent Biological Phototherapy Device,” Taiwan Patent No. I645878 B, 1 January 2019.
- Jyh-Horng Chen, Tzi-Dar Chiueh, Edzer L. Wu, Li-Wei Kuo. “Wideband Magnetic Resonance Imaging Apparatus and Method,” U.S. Patent No. 8049496 B2, 1 November 2011.
- Jyh-Horng Chen, Tzi-Dar Chiueh, Edzer L. Wu, Li-Wei Kuo. “Method and Apparatus for Simultaneously Acquiring Multiple Slices/Slabs in Magnetic Resonance System,” U.S. Patent No. 8022701 B2, 20 September 2011.
National Health Research Institutes - Institutional Repository: 6865