1986 - 1991Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA, U.S.A.Ph.D. in Chemistry
1979 - 1983National Tsing-Hua University, Hsinchu, TaiwanBachelor of Science in Chemistry
2006 - presentChemistry Division, Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, National Science Council, Taipei, TaiwanMember of Consulting Committee
2003 - 2005Chemistry Division, Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, National Science Council, Taipei, TaiwanPanelist
2003 - 2005Industrial Technology and Research Institute (ITRI), Hsinchu, TaiwanConsultant
2003 - presentDepartment of Engineering and System Science, National Tsing-Hua University, Hsinchu, TaiwanAdjunct Professor
2000 - presentDepartment of Applied Chemistry, National Chi-Nan University, Puli, TaiwanProfessor
2000 - 2005Graduate Institute of Biomedicine and Biomedical Technology, National Chi-Nan University, Puli, TaiwanFounding Director
2001 - 2004Department of Applied Chemistry, National Chi-Nan University, Puli, TaiwanChairperson
1999 - 2000Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, CA, U.S.A.Visiting Scholarsponsored by National Science Council, Taiwan, hosted by Professor Richard N. Zare.
Conducting interdisciplinary researches, through collaborations whose effort combine the methodologies of chemical, physical, biological sciencesand engineering, on exploring life science phenomena and mechanisms: from the molecular and cellular levels to the integrated and systemic levels. Specific topics and fields include:
- Nanoparticles in basic medicine research clinical diagnosis/therapeutics, particularly in non-invasive imaging, targeting drug delivery and controlled release.
- Mechanistic studies and clinical applications of transdermal delivery/sampling
- Implantable device for minimally invasive sampling and/or in situ analysis to study various physiological disorders
- Integrated biomedical microchip for on-line and high throughput analysis
- Damage mechanisms and therapeutic approaches of organ ischemia and reperfusion: such as stroke, acute myocardial infarction and liver ischemia/reperfusion
Research Activities & Accomplishment
Dr. Chung Shi Yang endeavors to coordinate multidisciplinary research. He has published more than fifty peer-reviewed papers in international journals, and has been invited as a speaker in numerous international conferences or events. He also has been invited to serve as panel or reviewer in many important institutes and committees, such as National Science Council, Taiwan.
Dr. Yang's accomplishments are shown in both research and administrative. From 1997 to 2000, Dr. Yang was respectively the owner of Shih-Chun Wang Young Investigator Award (by Chinese Neuroscience Society of Taiwan), Tsing-Ling Yen Medical Research Award (by Chinese Medicine Association of Taiwan), Distinguished Young Chemists Award (by Chinese Chemistry Society of Taiwan), and Distinguished Young Chemist Award of the Federation of Asian Chemical Societies (by the Federation of Asian Chemical Societies). In 2003, he completed the establishment of Graduate Institute of Biomedicine and Biomedical Technology, National Chi-Nan University, and was appointed as the Founding Director. At the meantime, Dr. Yang successfully coordinated a joint research program for Taichung Veterans General Hospital and National Chi-Nan University.
In 2004, Dr. Yang was appointed as the Director of Center for Nanomedicine Research/NHRI to integrate research in physics, chemistry, material science and engineering towards the application of nanoscience and nanotechnology to the prevention and treatment of human diseases, through intramural and extramural collaborative activities. Under Dr. Yang's instruction, CNMR will be playing an important share of the collective efforts to promote the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology development in Taiwan.
- Yang, C. S.; Chang, C. H.; Tsai, P. J.; Chen, W. Y.; Lo, L. W. (2004) Nanoparticle-based in vivo investigations on blood brain barrier permeability following ischemia and reperfusion. Anal Chem 76: 4465-4471 SCI IF: 5.695
- Lo, L. W.; Tsai, P. J.; Huang, H. Y.; Wang, Y. T.; Chang, C. H.; Yang, C. S. (2005) In vivo monitoring of fluorescent nanosphere delivery in anesthetized rats using an implantable fiber-optic microprobe. Anal Chem 77: 1125-1131 SCI IF: 5.695
- Lin, S. Y.; Chen, N. T.; Sum, S. P.; Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S. (2008) Cellular internalization of photoluminescent gold quantum dots modified with nuclear leading sequence peptides. Chem Commun 39: 4762-4764 SCI IF: 6.378
- Wang, Y. C.; Wu, Y. T.; Huang, H. Y.; Lo, L. W.; Tzeng, S. F.; Yang, C. S. (2008) Sustained intraspinal delivery of neurotrophic factor encapsulated in biodegradable nanoparticles following contusive spinal cord injury. Biomaterials 29: 4546-4553 SCI IF: 7.604
- Lee, C. H.; Lo, L. W.; Mou, C. Y.; Yang, C. S. (2008) Synthesis and characterization of positive-charge functionalized mesoporous silica nanoparticles for the controlled release of anionic molecules. Adv Funct Mater 18: 3283-3292 SCI IF: 9.765
- Tai, L. A.; Tsai, P. J.; Wang, Y. C.; Wang, Y. J.; Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S. (2009) Controllable drug released from thermosensitive liposomes entrapping iron oxide nanoparticles. Nanotechnology 20: 135101 SCI IF: 3.842
- Wang, Y. C.; Wu, Y. T.; Huang, H. Y.; Yang, C. S. (2010) Sucrose increased the protein encapsulation efficiency and prolonged the release profile from PLGA nanoparticles. AAPS Pharmscitech 10: 1263-1267 SCI IF: 1.584
- Chu, C. H.; Wang, Y. C.; Tai, L. A.; Wu, L. C.; Yang, C. S. (2010) Surface deformation of poly(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles loaded with gold nanorods after near Infrared Irradiation: possible application as a controllable drug release system. J Mater Chem 20: 3260-3264 SCI IF: 6.108
- Yang, R. H.; Chang, L. H.; Yang, C. S. (2010) Pharmacokinetics and physiologically-based pharmacokinetic modeling of nanoparticles. J Nanosci Nanotechno 10: 1-8 SCI IF: 1.149
- Chen, J. K.; Shi, M. H.; Peir, J. J.; Lai, W. H.; Lin, P. P.; Chang, H. H. L.; Chou, F. Y.; Yang, M. S.; Yang, C. S. (2010) The use of radioactive zinc oxide nanopaticles in determination of their tissue concentrations following intravenous administration in mice. Analyst 135: 1742-1746 SCI IF: 3.969
- Lin, S. Y.; Lin, F. S.; Chen, M. K.; Tsai, L. R.; Jao, Y. C.; Lin, H. Y.; Wang, C. L.; Hwu, Y. K.; Yang, C. S. (2010) One pot synthesis of linear-like and photoluminescent polyethylenimines for intracellular imagingand si-RNA delivery. Chem Commun 46: 5554-5556 SCI IF: 6.378
- Lin, T. C.; Lee, T. C.; Hsu, S. L.; Yang, C. S. (2011) The molecular mechanism of leptin secretion and expression induced by aristolichic acid in kidney fibroblast, implications in renal fibrosis. Plos One 6: e16554 SCI IF: 3.730
- Chu, C. H.; Wang, Y. C.; Huang, S. Y.; Wu, L. J.; Yang, C. S. (2011) Synthesis of Ultrafine PEG-coated poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) nanoparticles formulated by hydrophobic surfactant-assisted one-pot synthesis for biomedical application. Nanotechnology 22: 185601 SCI IF: 3.842
- Tai, L. A.; Kang, Y. T.; Chen, Y. C.; Wang, Y. C.; Wang, Y. J.; Wu, Y. T.; Liu, K. L.; Wang, C. Y.; Ko, Y. F.; Chen, C. Y.; Huang, N. C.; Chen, J. K.; Hsieh, Y. F.; Yew, T. R.; Yang, C. S. (2012) Quantitative characterization of nanoparticles in blood by TEM with a window type microchip nanopipet. Anal Chem 84: 6312-6316 SCI IF: 5.695
- Wu, L. C.; Chu, L. W.; Lo, L. W.; Liao, Y. C.; Wang, Y. C.; Yang, C. S. (2013) Programmable Cellular Retention of Nanoparticles by Replacing the Synergistic Anion of Transferrin. ACS Nano 7: 365-375 SCI IF:12.062
National Health Research Institutes - Institutional Repository: http://ir.nhri.org.tw/handle/3990099045/641
- Chen, J. K.; Mai, F. D.; Liu, P. C.; Li, F. Y.; Lin, Y. C.; Yang, C. S. “Nano particle accommodation apparatus, nano particle detection system and method thereof” Taiwan (ROC) patent issued on 2009/07/21 with patent number: I 312411; US(USPTO) issued on 2011/02/15 with patent number: US7,886,623.
- Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S. “Implantable Microdevice for detecting, activating and delivering molecules” US(USPTO) filed on 2007/10/09 with filing number: 11/869,053.
- Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S.; Chen, P. R.; Tsai, P. J. “A biodegradable material with nanopores and electric conductivity and the fabricating method thereof” Taiwan (ROC) filed on 2007/01/05 with filing number: 96100482; Europe (EPO) patent issued on 2009/10/14 with European patent No: 1970077 (Design state: United Kingdom).
- Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S. “Blood flow control system, Tension adjustable Instrument and Method Thereof” US(USPTO) issued on 2012/07/24 with patent number: US8,226,596; Taiwan (ROC) patent issued on 2012/12/01 with patent number: I 377960.
- Wu, Y. T.; Wang, Y. C.; Yang, C. S. “Controlled release multidrug formulations for spinal Cord Injury” US(USPTO) issued on 2012/12/18 with patent number: US8,333,962; Taiwan (ROC) issued on 2013/11/21 with patent number I 415620.
- Lin, S. Y.; Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S. “Method for making a ligand-quantum dot conjugate” US(USPTO) issued on 2012/07/10 with patent number: US8,216,549; Taiwan (ROC) issued on 2013/04/11 with patent number: I 392869.
- Tai, L. A.; Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S.; Wang, Y. J.; Wu, Y. T.; Wang, Y. C. ” Methods and compositions for enhancing transdermal drug delivery” US(USPTO) issued on 2011/11/22 with patent number: US 8,062,663; Taiwan (ROC) patent issued on 2012/09/01 with patent number: I 371290.
- Lee, C. H.;Mou C. Y.; Lo, L. W.; Yang, C. S. “Charged mesoporous slica nanoparticle-based drug delivery system for controlled release and enhanced bioavailabity” US(USPTO) issued on 2012/08/28 with patent number: US8,252,337.; Taiwan (ROC) patent issued on 2013/05/01 with patent number: I 394583.
- Yang, C. S.; Chou, F. Y.; Chen, J. K.; Pei, K. J.; Wang, M. Y.; Liu, C. H.; Yang, M. S.; Shih, M. H. “Radioactive gold nanoparticles and methods of making and using them” US (USPTO) issued on 2012/11/13 with patent number: US8,309,135; Australia(AU) issued on 2013/03/14 with patent number: 2009333387 and PCT filed on 2009/12/14 with filing number: PCT/US09/67808; Taiwan (ROC) patent issued on 2013/05/01 with patent number: I 395717.
- Chau, L. K.; Yang, C. S.; Chang, W. Z.; Wu, W. T. "Fiber-optic localized plasmon resonance sensing device and system thereof" US(USPTO) issued on 2011/12/06 with patent number: US8,072,606.; China (CN) issued on 2010/07/28 with patent number: CN101788478A; Taiwan (ROC) patent issued on 2013/06/21 with patent number: I 399532.
- Lee, C. H.; Cheng, S. H.; Liao, W, N.; Chen, J. K.; Yang, C. S.; Lo, L. W.; Hwu, Y. ; Lin, F. S. “Solid phase gold nanoparticle synthesis” US(USPTO) filed on 2011/05/17 with filing number: 13/109,438 ; Taiwan (ROC) filed on 2011/0/18 with filing number: 100117467.
- Lin, S. Y.; Yang, C. S.; Hwu, Y. K. " Single-monomer derived linear-like copolymer comprising polyethylenimine and poly(ethylene glycol) for nucleic acid delivery" US(USPTO) issued on 2013/06/11 with patent number: US8,461,224. ; Taiwan (ROC) issued on 2014/2/11 with patent number I 426085.
- Hsieh, Y. F.; Chu, C. H.; Sharma, P.; Ko, Y. F.; Yang, C. S.; Tai, L. A.; Chen, Y. C. “Specimen Preparation for transmission electron microscopy” US(SUPTO) filed on 2012/07/09 with filing number: 13/544,019;Taiwan (ROC) filed on 2012/08/31 with filing number: 101131762; PCT filed on 2013/07/08 with filing number: PCT/US13/49595.
- Cheng, S. H.; Liao, W, N.; Yang, C. S.; Lo, L. W. “Mesoporous silica nanoparticles for oil absorption” US(USPTO) filed on 2013/12/20 with filing number: 14/135,600; Taiwan (ROC) filed on 2013/12/20 with filing number: 102147599; PCT filed on 2013/12/20 with filing number: PCT/US13/76763.